ACTION RESEARCH AS PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT INITIAL COLLOQUIUM
On April 17, 2015, Bac Lieu University (BLU) in collaboration with US Consulate General in Ho Chi Minh City (HCMC) organized Action Research as professional development initial colloquium.
The colloquium took place in two days with the participation of:
- Ms. Malikat Rufai - Cultural Affairs officer, US Consulate General in HCMC
- Mr. Nguyen Huu Luan - Cultural Affairs Assistant, US Consulate General in HCMC
- Ms. Jill Kester - Senior English Language Fellow
- Ms. Cynthia Sue Wiseman - Fulbright Scholar Program
- Ms. Catherine Bolster - US Fellow who is teaching at BLU
- Mr. Adul Rahim Hamzah - Brunei Fellow who is teaching at BLU
- Ms. Vu Thi Chau Sa - Lecturer from University Foreign Language Studies - The University of Da Nang
- Ms.Vo Thi Thuy Trang – Lecturer from University Foreign Language Studies - The University of Da Nang
- Ms. To Viet Thu - Chief of International Cooperation Department, BLU
- Mr. Nguyen Ai Hoang Chau - Head of Foreign Language Division – Education Faculty, BLU
And 39 lecturers, teachers from local high schools, colleges, university and Center for Continuing Education in Bac Lieu city.
At the conference
Action Research is a professionally developing tool for English teachers in the world. Action Research is chosen as one of the key advanced educational issues in innovative methods of teaching English Language by the National Foreign Language Project 2020. It was aimed at helping teachers find out the problems in the process of teaching, research and solutions to innovative methods, thereby improving the academic performance of students, strengthening the professional practice for English-language teachers. The study was divided into four phases; this colloquium was under phase 1 of the project.
US and Vietnamese English-language teachers presented their own action research project samples at the conference from April 17 to April 18. Simultaneously, they guided how to do Action Research, including its purpose, components and steps. Some lecturers and teachers would be selected to participate in Action Research in Phase 2.
The conference quickly drew attention from the national and international experts, teachers and lecturers to discuss.
It is valuable for English language teachers to gain precious experience in the colloquium. This is the first time BLU held an Action Research as Professional development initial colloquium. The conference is a bridge to attract the methods of teaching and research work from the national and international experts; and opens a general forum for all of the local teachers and lecturers interested in sharing practical experience.
Some pictures at the colloquium:
Ms. Malikat Rufai - Cultural Affairs officer, US Consulate General in HCMC made an opening speech
Ms. Catherine Bolster and Mr. Abdul Rahim
Ms. Jill Kester - Senior English Language Fellow
Mr. Nguyen Ai Hoang Chau - Head of Foreign Language Division, BLU
Ms. To Viet Thu, Chief of International Cooperation Department, BLU gave gifts to scholars and experts.
Ms. Jill Kester - Senior English Language Fellow gave certificates.
Written by: Hong Ngoc